Being educated and being able to use the knowledge in real life are two different things. A person should be well aware of what s/he is doing. A person should know about the consequences of his/her work. It is necessary in every field, including companies. Managers should have a proper knowledge of their actions. They should think about the business relationships and activities. For that, management ethics is crucial.
Management ethics is the discipline that guides managers in their work. In other words, it is a standard behavior that managers should have. Management ethics separate things/works such as good or bad, right or wrong, moral duty or obligation, and so on. Also, it deals with the social responsiveness of an organization.
TYPES OF MANAGEMENT ETHICS
Archie B. Carroll came up with three kinds of management ethics. They are:
- Immoral management
Immoral management, as the name suggests, is an unethical management approach. Manager’s work shows a lack of ethical practices. For instance, a manager performing something illegal or risky for employees just to maximize profit is immoral management.
Moreover, immoral management is not only about lacking ethical principles. But also, it can oppose honest behaviors. Some works of managers that belong to this management are:
- Only concerning for profits
- Emphasizing success of the company at any price
- Lack of concern to the employee needs
- Taking shortcuts that can be against the laws
- Moral management
Managers think about profit maximization. But, unlike in immoral management, managers stay within their ethics and principles in this type. Everything they do is within the law. Also, the work does not only favor the managers. The work values all the members include in it.
- Amoral management
Amoral management consists of the characteristics of both moral and immoral management. In the case of amoral management, managers stay within the laws and principles only if they need to. If they can complete a task illegally without any obstacle, they will choose the illegal way.
Amoral management is of two types. They are:
In this type, managers knowingly make decisions that lack ethics. In other words, they deliberately choose the illegal or unethical method.
In this type, managers unknowingly make decisions that lack ethics. In other words, they do not deliberately choose the illegal or unethical method.
GUIDELINES FOR MANAGEMENT ETHICS
There are no particular steps to follow for management ethics. However, the following guidelines can be helpful.
- Obey the law. Do not take shortcuts in illegal ways.
- Circulate correct accounts.
- Tell the truth to concerned parties.
- Respect everyone regardless of their class, status, race, background, or nationality.
- Treat others the way you want to be treated. It is the golden rule of management ethics.
- Think of the environment too. Managers should avoid using harmful chemicals. Also, promote a clean and green environment.
- Managers should encourage participation. They should not make decisions on their own. Participation does not only make the decision fair. It also improves relationships.
- Action speaks louder than words. Therefore, act on what you say. Do not procrastinate.
- Managers should be responsible.